Treble Resonator

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:35:05 -0400

At 10:13 PM +0200 7/5/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Just recieved a shipment from Pianotek which included a Treble Resonator
>turnbuckle... and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with
>them and perhaps have a tip or two as for a most sucessfull
>installation.  The directions were marketing plugs then real
>directions... but I get the idea of what goes where.

On the other list, Chris S and Robert Grijalva (the inventor) were
saying that on a B, you'd need a right-angle drill (the small
cordless Makita), and that even for a D, your drill bit would have to
be a 10" one. I'd guess there'd be nothing wrong with temporarily
removing the bell and the wooden anchor block for the second
hitch-pin web tie-down bolt, simply to swing them out of the way. One
at a time, and re-attaching each as soon as you've drilled the holes
they were obstructing. If you think that the web is going to bulge
upwards immediately and disastrously, you can set a dial indicator
(mag base on the plate, probe on the bridge) to monitor the
situation. This will also tell where to return things to, should
there be any actual motion.

>Just how is it this is supposed to improve the sound anyways... does
>putting tension between the belly rail and the rim somehow increase
>support for the crown in this area ??... or what ?

Robert's notes are pretty clear on what it does. In coupling the
belly rail to the rim at that point, it is stiffening the structure,
and lessening the chance that that part of the board perimeter will
be and area where the board energy can be damped. Del and Ron were
pretty clear last spring, that it shouldn't be expected to restore
crown in that region. This is not a M&H tension resonator.

Robert says that when the treble bell was added in 1885, it was
necessary to remove a rim beam, creating the weakness in the rim/rail
system which Robert's turn-buckle coupler addresses. That would be
literally every 6' and larger Steinway grand in the last 120 years.
There is also a report from the field of one M whose treble sustain
picked up noticeably when the turn-buckle applied tension.

I've bought one. I installed it first in a grey market Yamaha C7
(which actually had the beam missing in Steinways), and moved it next
to an 1892 Stwy B at a summer chamber music program. On my one day a
week up there, the pianists are busy enough and I'm busy enough
(covering two Saturday night concerts at two separate chamber music
programs), that we haven't had the "miracle session". (The one where
you start at neutral, crank in 1/8 turn, play & listen, and repeat
steps 2 and 3, until everybody's light bulb goes one)

They played the first concert with 1/2" of tension, and the second in
neutral, with no "Oh what did you do to our piano, please set it
back". My jury is still out. But I'm sticking with Del's observation
that nothing is going to put additional energy into the board after
the hammer. All we can do is change the balance between loudness and
sustain.

At 11:57 AM +0200 7/6/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Is that device in picture two next to the "bell" similiar to these
>newer treble resonators sold by pianotech ?

I guess you haven't opened the box yet... <g>

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp