A couple of fixes

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:55:05 EDT

Dave,
Couldn't help but chiming in on this one.
I had a similar issue with a piano which about to be used for a recording
session. Very disturbing sustain pedal noise.  I had very little time left to
repair it but I went for the thrill and challenge of fixing this problem in as
minimal time possible.
I had to completely disassemble the pedal lyre ( not a Steinway type) to get
to the underside of the pedals.
So, here I am, working fast and I have the pedals upside down and was able to
see and fix  the problem. I quickly assembled the lyre and tried the pedal
again.
Still there and noisy as ever.
Stubborn me begged the artist to hold off 5 more minutes so I can make one
more last attempt at this. Again, the lyre was disassembled. Now I'm looking
deeply into the possibilities to see the problem. Then it hit me.
I repaired the wrong pedal. Due to it being upside down and turned around, I
was working on the una chordal pedal...not the sustain pedal.
The rest was easy.
Tom