Component Downbearing Gauge

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:52:12 -0500

>  I am now however suffering from post discovery blues because I can t
> find the instructions nor remember the calculation method, which I must
> admit, concerns me a little.

Lowell gauge instructions.

In brief, the thousandths of an inch quantities represented by the linear
increments (division lines) on the gauge are the rise or fall (vertical
dimeansion) per inch of length of piano string. So, to give an example, if
your rear string length was 3" and your gauge measurement was .009", then the
difference in elevation between the top the the bridge (a reference at zero),
and the rear string rest would be 3" x .009" or .027". Very simple math. These
dimeansions can be converted to degrees of angle by multiplying 1/6 degree
times the number of division lines the bubbble has crossed. Crossing six
division lines would mean 1 full degree of string angle. More simple math. To
determinethe lbs. pressure from the net downbearing measurement multiply the
net bearing in thousandths of an inch by the tension of the string. For
example, a string of 200 lbs tension, deflected by the bridge so that a net
downbearing measurementof .018" (1 degree) is created, will produce a
downbearing pressure of 3.6 lbs. (200 x .018). More simple math.
Incidentially, the bridge is pushing up at thestring 3.6 lbs. at the same
time the string is pushing down on the bridge, thus creating a static
equillibrium, like a depressed spring. An understanding of trigonometry is
unnecessary, but can't hurt anyone.

I hope the above has been helpful. Please contact Pianotek re: the missing
instructions. My apologies again. Thanks for buying my gauge. Feel free to
ask more questions.

Ron N