Damper Zing

Clark A Sprague clarks11628@juno.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:19:05 -0400

Richard and All who are apparently not at the big Whatever in Dallas,
Thanks for the great advice so far.
As I said in a previous post, it was the swish, not the zing.  The
customer complained that whenever he pressed the damper pedal, the
strings made this "noise" that was driving him crazy.  It was definitely
from the dampers brushing the strings as they passed upwards, and they
are definitely hanging below the string level.
I figured this out by just laying my wide mute strip across the strings
in various places until it stopped.  I at first thought that it was
coming from the bi-chord area, but found out differently.
        Thanks to one and all for the input.  A tech here suggested a
surgical supply house.  I thought of the scissors that trainers use when
taping ankles.  The cutters extend  out from the handle at an angle.  I
hadn't thought of the flush cutters as being sharp enough to do a clean
cut.  That is a good idea.   And I bet cheaper that a surgical supply
house!
Clark Sprague