Interesting test involving new piano prep

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 01:28:10 EDT

List,

I am thrilled.  I finally had the opportunity to show the owner of a store
that I do work for what the difference between a "tweaked" piano(as he calls it)
and one that has been merely floor "tooned!"

The owner has opened a new store, and in it are many pianos FOB.  Some
haven't been unwrapped yet.  Today there were two Kawai grands side by side, one an
RX-2(6 feet, I believe), and an RX-3(slightly larger).  I assume that the
actions in each piano are pretty much the same mechanism.  The RX-2 was already
unwrapped, and had probably been tooned once.  The RX-3's action was still tied
up and the action blocked with packing materials.

I set about checking regulation on the six footer.  As usual, the rep springs
were  jumpy.  I regulated the let-off, drop, and balanciers, then gave it the
quick lube recommended by David Love on this list a while back:  Pro-Tek on
all the balance rail and front rail pins, teflon powder burnished in the
knuckles.  Lubed the glides, put the action back in and tuned it.  This all took
about two hours.

I then unpacked the RX-3 that was next to the one I'd worked on, and sat down
to play it.  I was absolutely stunned at the difference between the before
and the after.  I used to think that pianos out of the crate were "acceptable."
My thinking has changed.  The small amount of work I did on the action made
the RX-2 positively fluid and responsive.

I was happy to have the opportunity to show the owner--a non-pianist who
noticed the difference despite his lack of playing ability-- what a difference a
small amount of prep can make.  I will be a much happier tech now that I have a
little more of a green light to get these things operating the way they're
supposed to.  Halleleujah!

Just though I'd share my joy with y'all!  Wish I was in Dallas...

Dave Stahl