Recycling Uprights/Clyde

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:22:56 -0700

Joe,

Why did you quit charging after you thought it through?  If I take my car to
the
garage and they tell me, "Sorry, but it's not worth fixing,"  I would still
expect to pay them for their professional opinions, which are indeed
helpful.

Regards,
Clyde

Well, Clyde it dawned on me, that possibly the customer would get another
piano. That's one. Another, and I'm sure you've heard this: "he charged me
$XX, just to tell me it didn't work!". (big whine after the statement.)
Some of the time, those clients have called me, in regards to the persuit of
a better piano. "Condemnations create a vacuum in my schedule, which I
sometimes need, to run those dumb errands, that I can't seem to find time
for, otherwise. Sometimes, I use the time to visit a dealer/friend,
whatever. A change of pace, so to speak.
On a similar note, I condemned an Over-Damper Piano 4 times! The first
client bought it for $100, the second client bought it for $150, the third
client bought it $250 and the fourth client bought it for $400! (It was, in
fact a $50 piece of junk, purchased in England, from an Estate Sale, for
$20US and shipped via container to an unscrupuless "antique dealer" type.
The first client bought a nice olde upright from a private party, I
recommended. The second Client bought a brand new upright. Don't know what
the 3rd and 4th did. It's all relevant, I guess.
The whole thing is just the way I like to treat my clients. If the piano is
a "family piano", it is a more difficult pill for the client to swallow,
though. :-(
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)