OT Virus Post

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:22:44 +0200

Good words of advice Robert... and Andy also... thanks for both posts.

I wonder if we shouldnt start an internet security awarness group on the
list.... nothing to formal... just a series of threads and discussion about how
we can protect ourselves better both from spam, ad and other spywares, and these
ghostings and virus schemes.

I just read doing some quick browsing that I could get around being traced
(attn: Keith Roberts) if I knew how to scan for machines with open port 25,
which I gather allows one to use the email server for the machine to relay
emails. It would seem then that not only could you ghost the email address, but
you could fake the smpt servers address as well. And of course... all that
information is readily available on the full headers of emails... or we couldnt
be traced to begin with.

I dunno... I get more and more suspicious of the whole thing as time goes by.

Thanks tho Andy... for the encouraging words

RicB