Changing dampers

Arlie Rauch adarpub@midrivers.com
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:16:38 -0600

I just tuned a Kimball spinet (please read on).  It had had no
attention for a long time and now has a new owner.  It was 120 cents
low and is now at concert pitch.

When I first approached the piano, I noticed that the bass single
string dampers were not damping effectively.  So I adjusted the damper
wires so they would damp.  Then other dampers would not damp.  I
adjusted them similarly, and seemingly all were working until I used
the sustain pedal.  Then numerous ones would not damp again.  There was
sufficient lost motion in the damper and bass damper pedals so that the
dampers had opportunity to be at full rest when the pedals were
released.

Anyway, I was not satisfied when I left.  I seem to remember a similar
situation on one piano some years ago, but I do not remember what the
fix was.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  How can this situation
on this piano be corrected?

Arlie Rauch
Piano Technician
Glendive, MT