Recycling Uprights

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:13:02 -0700

I think it behoves us to Junk Out olde pianos, be they Grand Or Upright. If
it has gone beyond it's ability to be economical to rebuild, then Trash It!
I do this on a regular basis. It helps to assure that some poor soul won't
be stuck with a "Turd" and that quite possibly the manufacturers will have a
vacuum to throw a new piano into, so to speak. It helps everyone. This
trashing process does take time, but cheap labor can be employed to do the
job. The salvageable parts are invaluable and it can be a learning process,
in how a piano is constructed.
On a similar note: When I condemn a piano, I never charge for the visit. I
used to, but I got to thinking about that and quit charging. I just leave a
"Gurlick" book and my card.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)