Practical Approaches was RE: This Needs A DefinitiveSettlement was RE: 12 cents

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:56:50 +0200

> Likewise, but(t)...
> Have you ever had the first string you tuned drop suddenly as you were
> tuning the second or third to it, even after pounding the first string into
> what should have been adequate submission? Where did the pitch drop come
> from? There are only three remotely rational possibilities I can think of.
> One is from the back scale, which I consider most likely in spite of the
> pounding. Second is from the coil, which, interestingly enough, will often
> entertain you with a dramatic pitch drop if you tap on it a bit, but
> normally won't if you don't. Third is a highly localized structural failure
> affecting only one string.

Ah... an interesting change of directions to this thread.  And I assume we are
not refering to the string coupling phenomena which I think several of us find
reason to question to some degree anyways. I've been increasingly scratching my
head about how the three strings of a unision affect each other while under
adjustment.

I know this sound totally out of there... but I just keep getting the feeling
that they somehow affect each other right at the bridge... but perhaps its just
really the backscale. Whether its my own tuning technique or whatever... it
seems that after tuning the center string, if I tune the left string... the
center string drops...if it moves at all,  but if tune the right string the
center rises or stays the same. I dont really have any explaination for this
and it strikes me as very curious. I've checked this with both my ETD's as
well... same pattern. I've tried tuning the right string first, then the center
and then the left... but both seem to pull the right string downwards and it
ends up costing too much time.... same thing in reverse if I tune the left
string first.

I know others report that they dont get this kind of thing to happen at all, so
perhaps it has something to do with tuning hammer technique as well ?

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.