This Needs A Definitive Settlement was RE: 12 cents

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:15:46 +0200

> I wholeheartedly agree. I for one am very glad I'm not personally
> paying for what some on this list consider to be necessary. Seems to me
> like more sales than service. For the vast majority of our collective
> clientelle this is WAY overkill IMO. I would even go as far to say that it
> puts a black mark on our profession. Perhaps those that do this should
> continue to change their motor oil every 100-200 miles until it begins to
> runs clean. Perhaps that illustrates my point somewhat loosely.

Considering the average state of the "vast majority of our collective clientele"
's pianos... I would have no difficulty at all in approaching the market with a
positive and constructive attitude that includes a more realistic picture of what
it means to take care of a piano. Providing a customer with a two visit pitch
raise when such changes of pitch are extreme is in no way overkill IMHO. In
fact... the issue of overkill or underkill doesn't even figure into the equation
in the first place.

Stating  that some of our esteemed membership "put a black mark on our
profession" because their chosen approach to this and/or other such issues does
not agree with ones own assessment of what is necessary or appropriate is pretty
strong stuff.  Personally... I find it very very difficult to doubt the
motivations and abilities of my colleagues to provide the best suited, most
honest, and most fair service they know how to provide. It is a rare occasion
indeed before I am willing to point the << black finger >> at my fellow
technician.... and that includes, in equal degree, those I find it difficult on a
personal basis to treat with.

G'nite Seattle

RicB

--