Interesting Problems in a Seiler upright

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:16:47 EST

Today I went out to service a Seiler model 131(top of the line with
magnetically assisted action) that is around 3 years old.  The owner
complained of dampers not working.

When I arrived at his home, I found that the piano was so far out of
regulation that I felt obliged to look for structural damage in the
instrument.  I have never seen a piano so far out of whack.  There was no
cracked plate, no warped keybed(it has a metal frame under the keyboard),
nothing out of place, no signs of anything broken.  The hammers were between
1/4 and 1/2 inch off the rail, and most of them blocked against the strings
when played with a moderate to hard blow.  I thought of trying to raise the
action bracket bolts(the ones they rest on on the keybed) to raise the entire
action up a small amount, but they were as high as they could go without
bending the nose bolts upward.

I figured it was a humidity problem that had caused some swelling.  That's a
helluva a lot of swelling, though.  I ended up having to turn the capstans
down more than one complete turn, then re-regulate the let-off and the back
checks.  It came out fine, but I am wondering why  this happened.  According
to the lady of the house, it went from good to unplayable in about a month.
It was almost as if someone had given a toddler some tools and told him to go
play with the action.

Anybody ever seen anything like this in a really high quality instrument?

Dave Stahl