Wrapup on Wippen Cushion Cloth Replacement

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:40:28 -0500

Thanks Joe for the suggestion on the steam and iron dry.  I've tried
the vodka, I've also tried the steaming and ironing dry, and I
haven't been able to raise all the dimples satisfactorily on the
wippen cushions that I've worked on, 2 grands, two uprights and two
spinets.  So, this time I'm going to replace the white felt/cloth
cushion along with the red, ala the Steinway wippen, and follow some
directions from Ed Foote.
I've ordered the 5/8" wide strips of white and the 3/16" red cloth
from Steinway - $9.00 + freight.  I'll use hot hide glue, and I'm
waiting on a suggestion from Ed Foote on making some cauls, maybe 6
ea, to hold the white felt/cloth down at the both ends, in the "heel"
notch with a spring clamp on the caul and wippen, while the glue
dries.
I'll see how this works after I'm finished and then put a short blurb
on the list noting the procedure, materials, time and costs.
I researched the archives and didn't find enough info to work with
and that's why I put my post on the list to begin with.
My regards, Gordon Holley
Associate Member, Indiana Chapter 467