Aural Octaves (Jim Coleman Sr)

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:52:01 -0700

    Charles, Jim is just making reference to the instructions for the =
RPT test which states that now matter how the technician normally tunes, =
on the test they want you to tune pure 2/1 octaves on the very top part =
of the piano. They just want you to prove that you can do it, that's =
all.=20
    Kevin E. Ramsey
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Charles Neuman=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 9:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Aural Octaves (Jim Coleman Sr)

  I'm a little confused by Jim's statement below, from his email on =
Aural
  Octaves:

  >        CAUTION! For those preparing to take the PTG Tuning exam,
  >        remember that it is required to
  >        tune the top octave C7 to B7 as simple pure octaves (2-1
  >        type?) without the additional stretch
  >        which the above procedure would produce. Therfore, utilize
  >        the 10th-17th test such as G#4-C6
  >        and G#4-C7  to be equal in beat rate. Also F5-C6 and F5-C7
  >        to be equal.

  Does that mean the stretch suddenly ends at the last octave? Or are =
you
  just cautioning us not to stretch too much on the exam? Those look =
like
  2:1 octaves to me, so it seems like the stretch just ends at the last
  octave, and the tuning curve levels out.

  Also, Jim, I hope you'll post your comments on bass octave tuning.

  Thanks,

  Charles Neuman
  PTG Assoc, Long Island