Super glue on key tops

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:41:43 -0800

> Hello, A teacher spilled some super glue on two pianos .One has Ivory the
> other plastic.He tried denatured alcho.I have used razors ,and sanding and
> buffing, but can we us a srtonger chemical that won't melt or remove the
> key.
> Thank You
> Dan SchrefflerRPT
> Northern Az. University

Hmmmm, who do I know at NAU that has two pianos, one with ivory tops and one
with plastic?  Tell Frank super glue is not the recommended method to keep
the students from leaving the piano!

Tis' a problem.  Acetone might soften the glue up a bit but I can tell you
without a doubt that it will destroy the plastic tops.  DO NOT use anything
like that or you will regret it.  Some lacquer thinner might be okay but I
would use it very carefully and in limited quantity.  I'm not sure what
would happen with the ivory.  As you mentioned, scraping and sanding comes
first to mind since ivory has similar properties to wood.  Scraping might
work on the plastic as well if you have access to a buffing wheel to polish
it back up again.

Rob Goodale,RPT
Las Vegas, NV