puzzler

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:15:50 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Mike and Jane Spalding
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 6:08 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: puzzler

Tom,

Bingo!!  Dug a hole right through to the wood.  Some kind of corrosion
formed under the plating on the spoons, and turned them into sandpaper.
I wouldn't have expected this on the spoons of a regularly played piano
in a normal climate.  any ideas why the spoons have decayed so
drastically?

thanks

Mike

Mike,
	My guess is that the spoons were defective from day one. It may
have taken some time, but a spill or some contamination would probably
be only on one area, not all the spoons. Kind of a lousy job though,
getting the old ones out, replacing spoons and damper lever cloth. R and
R damper levers on and old piano will usually result in poor damping so
new damper felt and regulation might be necessary too. Classic snowball
repair! Does this action have any plastic?
I hope not for your sake!
	Tom Driscoll