Plane/Chisel Stone Sharpening

Benny L. Tucker precisionpiano@alltel.net
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:18:09 -0500

Terry,
    Contact Allan Gilreath, agilreath@mindspring.com
He gave a technical at one of the Atlanta chapter meetings on this subject.
Very interesting, and he is very "sharp" <G> on plane sharpening technique!!

Benny L. Tucker
Yamaha Factory Tuner
Precision Piano Tuning & Repair
Thomaston, Ga.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 8:57 PM
Subject: Plane/Chisel Stone Sharpening

> I have a question for those who sharpen plane blades and/or chisels on
some type of stone (Japanese waterstone, ceramic, Arkansas, or whatever) and
use a honing guide. I have trouble reproducing the EXACT angle of the blade
in the honing guide when I want to touch up the edge. Or if I am sharpening
several plane blades and chisels, I would like to do all the coarse work
first, then the medium grits, fine, and then polishing. (I've been
sharpening ALL my chisels and planes for TWO DAYS NOW.) But unless I have a
honing guide for each piece, I find it very difficult to reproduce the exact
angle for fine grinding and polishing. The only way I can really see it
working is to attach the honing guide to one piece and go through all
necessary grits (or have a honing guide for each piece to be sharpened).
Then next time the blade needs some touchup, you will need to go to a grit
that is able to correct any angle deviation that you have from mis-angling
the honing guide.

> I am using Shapton ceramic sharpening stones:
http://www.shaptonstones.com/  (Professional Series) and the Veritas Honing
Guide and Bevel Setter: http://www.garrettwade.com/ (type in "veritas honing
guide).

> Am I missing something here? Or is this a universal problem? Or is this
one of those skill/experience things (damn, I hate those)?