Wood action brackets/Terry

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:02:45 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 29, 2003 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: Wood action brackets/Terry

> You may well not ever find the original dimensions, but what will need to
be done is to determine what dimensions will make the action work well. If
you ever get to do it, let's hear about it! If you ever do make brackets out
of wood, I would highly recommend making them of several laminations for
stability.

> Terry Farrell

I have made several sets of wood action brackets for older grands. In one
case I made the stock out of maple veneers laminated in my shop. In the
other I used Delignit bridge cap stock. In a third -- my current personal
project Decker Bros. -- I'm using the original three-ply maple brackets
after soaking them in coating epoxy for half an hour, allowing them to
drip-dry and cure. After sanding and cleaning up they look very nice and I
expect them to be quite as stable as any metal brackets out there.

Del