Wippen Cushion Cloth Replacement

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:15:16 EST

Gordon writes:

<< oe Goss also suggested using steam on the dimples, I also tried that
on the Packard upright along with the vodka as Susan Kline suggested.
Mixed results as I did say.
OK, now it's your turn again. >>

I don't believe in using steam or alcohol to "restore" old, compacted, felt.
With age, the natural resiliency of the felt goes away, and even though one
might mechanically restore the dimension,  the felt fibers have been damaged
to some degree and I think the felt will pack down again rather quickly.  At
least, it did on my parents 1860 Hallet & Davis I "restored" right after I
graduated, (1976).  When I saw it several years later, it was right back to
its noisey old self and totally out of regulation.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/