Self destructing piano

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:07:08 -0600

Dave,

At 06:58 1/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave,
>Let us know what you find.  Who knows which of us will run into a similar
>situation someday.
>Regards,
>Clyde
>
>Dave Bunch wrote:
>>Well, in twenty years this is a new one for me. Yesterday I did a 1/4
>>step pitch raise and tune on a Kimball "spinsole" that a couple had just
>>moved here (Des Moines) from California. Nothing appeared out of the
>>ordinary and everything went just fine. When I was done they loved how
>>much better it sounded and considering the piano, I thought it came out
>>better than expected. Today I get a call from them that the piano sounded
>>great yesterday, but when they played it this morning, it sounded so out
>>of tune that they thought that they were playing the wrong keys. I
>>thought she was exagerating until I had her play it over the phone. It is
>>clear that something catastrophic occured during the night. Either a
>>broken plate or bridge, I would say. I'm going over in a few days to see
>>whats going on. They seem like nice folks but I got to wondering if they
>>are going to blame this on me. While bringing it up to pitch may have
>>pushed something over the edge, everything I did was standard procedure.
>>Has anyone been charged with piano slaughter? I'm trying to think of how
>>to put the best spin on a bad situation. Dave Bunch

My guess would be culture shock ,  er... ah....  something caused by severe
change in humidity conditions from CA  damp to Iowa dry heat .  You said
"just moved"?  How recently?  During our sub-zero snap? Hmmmm.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

- People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan White