Tuning Over-Damper Pianos

Mick mick@laughinggravy.net
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:02:40 -0000

>>I get to tune my first one tomorrow afternoon. It's a Kirkman, full plate,
restrung, new pins. How do you guys mute the piano?
Keith R

Hi Keith

I swing the action forward and strip the temperament far enough below the
hammer line to avoid jamming. Then I'll replace the action, and chalk the
position of all the Cs, As and Fs on the pin block. I'll set the scale,
remove the strip and bring the unisons in by muting the outer strings one at
a time with a papps wedge, strumming the strings throught the "birdcage"
(over damper wires) to find my place. The treble is tuned in likewise
manner.

In the bass I use a slim rubber wedge above the action if possible. I'm
experienced enough to get close without wedges here at all, but if you're a
novice and there is little room above the action you may just have to resort
to swinging the action back and forth while placing mutes. watch for damper
wires jumping out of their bushes in the wippens as you move the action;
this can easily break tapes, bend wires or damage flanges etc.

Good luck!

Mick Danby CMIT