Plane/Chisel Stone Sharpening

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:57:48 -0500

I have a question for those who sharpen plane blades and/or chisels on some type of stone (Japanese waterstone, ceramic, Arkansas, or whatever) and use a honing guide. I have trouble reproducing the EXACT angle of the blade in the honing guide when I want to touch up the edge. Or if I am sharpening several plane blades and chisels, I would like to do all the coarse work first, then the medium grits, fine, and then polishing. (I've been sharpening ALL my chisels and planes for TWO DAYS NOW.) But unless I have a honing guide for each piece, I find it very difficult to reproduce the exact angle for fine grinding and polishing. The only way I can really see it working is to attach the honing guide to one piece and go through all necessary grits (or have a honing guide for each piece to be sharpened). Then next time the blade needs some touchup, you will need to go to a grit that is able to correct any angle deviation that you have from mis-angling the honing guide.

I am using Shapton ceramic sharpening stones:  http://www.shaptonstones.com/  (Professional Series) and the Veritas Honing Guide and Bevel Setter: http://www.garrettwade.com/ (type in "veritas honing guide).

Am I missing something here? Or is this a universal problem? Or is this one of those skill/experience things (damn, I hate those)?

Terry Farrell