Tuning problems: capo improvement suggestions

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:10:55 -0800

An interesting (perhaps) sidebar to this discussion:

I was asked to diagnose problems on a new Rieger-Kloss instrument recently.
The customer complained of zinging throughout the piano.   The design of
the felt in the agraffe section has it positioned 1-2 inches away from the
agraffe.  A fair amount of leakage through the entire section was evident
and could be easily removed by inserting felt underneath the string closer
to the agraffe.  The capo section was another matter entirely.  The
counterbearing section has a series of duplex bars perfectly tuned to the
fundamental in the relationship of an octave.  A beautifully tuned duplex.
It was zinging like crazy  from the bottom to the top.   The only remedy
here, as I see it, is to change the design and move the duplexes in toward
the capo bar.  Since it is a warranty issue at present, I did not undertake
such a remedy and have yet to present it to the rep.  Very hard hammers did
not help the situation either, but voicing did not alleviate the problem.
Comment if you care to, I more wanted to relate the incident.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net