Muffler felt problem

Christus4@aol.com Christus4@aol.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:10:55 EST

Problem:  With "sanity pedal" engaged, and when the player is also using
sustain pedal, the muffler felt is hitting the strings immediately adjacent
to the one being struck.
Has anyone tried slicing the felt between unisons as a viable cure?  I'm
thinking that that might alter the stiffness of the felt section so much that
its function would be lost, or the felt would twist or even wear out too soon?
I'll probably be replacing the felt in a couple of years anyway, because the
subject piano is a Yamaha M450 console on a shared wall in an apartment
complex, where the polite owner is trying to be a good neighbor - meaning the
middle pedal is usually locked down.
Thanks in advance for kind suggestions.

Chuck

Chuck Christus, RPT