Tuning charges - Was: Re: close enough>?? (long)

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:50:34 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "David M. Porritt" <dm.porritt@verizon.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: Tuning charges - Was: Re: close enough>?? (long)

> Conrad:
> I also kind of resent the "I'm slow and through, and anyone faster
> than me is a hack" sentiment I see here.
>
> dave
Dave
I had been a 1.5 hour tuning tuner, averaging 5 calls a day. Not any more.
I've spent some time studying tuning techniques and found most tuners
following very similar patterns in their work.  Only a few had new
approaches. The objective was to become more efficient, not necessarily move
faster.  I took new methods and standard practices and applied them to new
patterns.  Tuning times are now about 40-50 minutes, pitch corrections about
7-10 minutes.  Now those 5,  1.5 hour calls include travel time, petting the
dog, greeting the children and an occasional cup of coffee. Acceptions
occur, but better time management and adjusted fees compensate.  I'm less
stressed during the day, and less tired by days end.   This has brought me
to be keenly aware of tuning techniques and how I can improve.  My
admiration and attention is to those who tune in an hour or less.

Paul Chick