freebies

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:04:19 -0700

Hi Terry,
Well I chose to take the time to feel every pin seat and try to keep my time
down to an respectful 45 to 60 minutes. the fine tuning then takes 5 to 15
minutes if the piano is less than 30 cents off. If  50 cents or more it is
always 2 hours or so. Muting would cut my time down a little but it is only
time and being retired have plenty of it <G> so I relax.
What I mean by muting is that using the strip mute of the entire piano would
lower the time of changing the mute ( I use a single split mute and large
wedge ) but would require getting use to listening to all three strings
being in tune as the tri chords are tuned. I tune only two strings together
and then check the result on a final pass.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 5:37 AM
Subject: Re: freebies

> "Second pass, none of the center strings was off more than a cent, but 90%
of them settled 5 to 10 cents as soon as I touched them."

> And often, especially in the upper treble, they will drop even more. So
how do you correct? Increase the tension on the string - correct? If you
increase the tension on each string in the upper treble to raise the pitch
10 cents, doesn't each string you have just "tuned" drop in pitch be about 3
cents? I don't understand how you can do a pitch raise, not settle the pitch
firmly, and expect things to stay there.

> Terry Farrell

for ways to speed up pitch corrections and 1st passes to the point where I
can confidently schedule tunings at 2 hr. intervals (no, difinitely not
bionic).  According to Dean and Mitch, RCT pitch raise mode works most
accurately when you DON'T overpull and settle:  just pull it to pitch and
move on.  Fortuitously, this also saves time.  But I have to agree 100% with
Ron, on the second pass I need to handle every pin again, because too many
of them will drop significantly with the slightest downward pressure of the
hammer.  Case in point, Small (10 to 20 cent) pitch raise on 10-year-old
Baldwin B Friday morning.  Pitch raise pass, about 30 minutes.  Second pass,
none of the center strings was off more than a cent, but 90% of them settled
5 to 10 cents as soon as I touched them.  I just don't see how a "pull them
up and leave them" pass can result in any "freebies".

> > Perhaps unrelated side note, I've noticed that on the first pass, even
on non-neglected pianos, the strings sometimes settle significantly as soon
as I put the hammer on the pin.  Maybe that's a result of the
humidity-induced pitch changes that we enjoy here in the upper midwest?