Capo Hardening, was: Tuning problems under capo bar

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 02:10:13 +1100

At 9:48 AM -0800 25/1/03, gordon stelter wrote:

>I have even seen 1920's KIMBALLS(!!!) with the
>groove-and-steel-rod solution to the soft capo
>problem. What other pinaos have you folks seen this
>on, and why didn't Steinway and some other costly
>makes use it?
>      Thump

Yamaha used the idea in the late 70's, but it failed because their
string approach angle to the capo was too high and wire breakage
became all too common with the very hard capo wire. They reverted
back to the old system but they now harden the capo bar properly (I
know this because we reshape them with a tungsten carbide burr before
restringing - the duplexs on the other hand, do require hardening
after reshaping). Yet another example of poor execution killing the
idea off before it flew.

With Steinway the answer is very simple. They've been preaching to
world about their 'perfect product' for so long that it would be
nearly impossible for them to change anything. Furthermore, why
should they? The greater percentage of the music world are convinced
that S&S is no. 1, so while ever the perception perpetuates they
don't need to change anything.

Isn't it just about time that the world stopped 'goo-garring' over a
design which was conceived around 1900 or before? Let us for our
future's sake consider the possibility of applying new knowledge in a
new century. The dominance of one brand name over the past century
has resulted in a sort of 'design holocaust'. Lets move forward and
create something new and exciting. When folks come at me with blind
acceptance of the design dogma which has plagued pianos over the past
century, I recall the words of Oliver Cromwell which Jacob Bronowksi
quoted in 'The Ascent of Man' as he knelt at the Auschwitz
crematorium pond, "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it
possible that you may be mistaken".

I must mention though that I tuned and voiced a newish two year old
New York M yesterday (on the new cruise ship Europa - what a vessel!
- check it out at; http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/europa/).

Same old-world ordinary design so the piano sounds just like it
always has, but I was very surprised at the dramatic improvement in
workmanship over some of the trash S&S New York have built over the
past twenty years. The action would now appear to have been made by
Renner and the quality workmanship in the bent rim and sound board
was a great surprise. The old packing crate look has completely
disappeared.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY