Yow-Yowing strings/Ron Nossaman

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:53:19 -0600

>Ron,
>Why would you presume that the plating be copper? The only reason copper is
>used on bass strings, is that it's the easiest material and it has the
>longest tonal life, under the established method of adding mass to strings.
>If the plating system were viable, then several different types of metal
>could be used, depending on the tone desired. The attempt by many
>manufacturers of the late 1800's, early 1900's were trying different metals
>for adding mass to the bass strings. Hence we have Iron wound strings,
>Silnic, Copper plated iron and there's probably a few others we haven't even
>detected. Then, of course, there is the Aluminum winding fiasco of the
>1970's.
>I agree with you, that a lot of things done to the piano have made it sound
>less like a piano and more like a coffee can full of broken glass or
>.....whatever. Most of this stuff was done with the idea of expediency and
>cheapening the manufacturing process.
>I was merely "supposing" "if it were possible". If it were possible, then
>possibly we would/could almost completely eliminate the longitudinal
>inharmonicity problem. Of course the real world is....taint
>economical/practical to do, but I can dream can't I? <G>
>Best Regards
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Joe,
Sure it's possible, and it didn't matter to me what the plating was. I just
started with copper. Perhaps you could tell me what material you could
plate a core wire with that would have the appropriate mass and still have
the flexibility to vibrate like a wrapped string. Dreaming is a wonderful
thing, especially if it incorporates some aspects of reality. I just wasn't
aware there was any material known to science and available that would
allow this. What is it called, and where can it be gotten?

Ron N