Frozen Let-Off Rail Fix

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:00:17 -0500

"So....tell us how it comes out."

Since you asked Guy, here goes.

Tried Protek - no improvement - snapped off a couple more regulating screws. Looked all over shop & garage for propane cylinders - I know I have them, just can't find 'em. Abandon heating idea. Always wondered how much was involved in making new rail from scratch. Cut length of mahogany from old Betsy Ross lid that I made my regulating table from. Drilled holes on drill press using old rail as guide, install new screws, install new buttons, glue on new punchings, install back onto action. Everything is certainly way out of regulation, but it was before anyway. Took me two to 2-1/2 hours.

I think it was an OK way to go. Tough call - fix old or make new. The wierd thing is that when I regulate it next week or so, that will likely be the last time this piano is ever regulated. I can't imagine the thing hanging around for another hundred years for it's third regulation! Boy that makes you feel good that you might be able to do a regulation that will last 100 years!!!

Thanks very much for all the input.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nichols" <nicho@cybermesa.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: Frozen Let-Off Rail Fix

At 05:54 PM 1/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>What is the cheapest, quickest, most appropriate fix for this so that I
>can regulate the darn thing?
Seņor,
Lot of factors in your list.
     Absolute quickest fix, like... right now, no $, is to tap down the
brackets from above. Next quickest is shims under the bracket, on top of
the rail. But now you're investing pennies.
    Meanwhile, black moly lube penetrates and stays. Wicks well, stinks to
high heaven, and won't ignite(usually) if you go on to heat.
    Heating without removing the rail(s) is the next quickest and cheapest.
Soldering iron.
Note: still haven't decided most appropriate......
    Removing the rail(s) is the next step, in dollars, and can lead to many
more minor steps, like steaming the buttons, etc, but quickly approaches
the time/dollar investment for replacement, and forces you to factor in
"appropriate".
    So....
tell us how it comes out.

Guy Nichols
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM

"On the other hand, you've got different fingers."
                                                         anon