freebies

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:03:08 -0500

I need to chime in on this one..

I do contract work for a local dealership..alot of new pianos leave the
store with just one floor tuning on them(usually above A=440), and when the
piano gets to the customer, the piano has fallen below 440..sometimes as
much as 12-16 cents..usually 0 - -6 cents.

Is that a fault of my technique? I don't think so.

Is it the fact that newer pianos need a little more TLC when it comes to
stability? I sure hope so, 'cause that's been my experience with them.

I do ALOT of quick 1st passes in the customer's home..it's not the fault of
the dealership if they sell the piano to make a sale to make money to refer
me the service business, is it? I don't think so.

For me, servicing new pianos and doing quick first passes is a fact of
life..and..oh..before I forget, I do these passes usually in less than 10
minutes, and I don't listen to anything..I'm just moving pins as quickly as
possible getting tension back to where it should be...all feel, folks.

Does that mean I'm a bad technician for doing that? If it is, then there's
alot of clients out there that I have done wrong to over the years, and alot
of stable pianos because of it.

..and because those pianos are stable, I do alot of tunings in less than 1
hr. - does that mean I am short-changing my clients, even within the
timeframe of a "service call" I am checking voicing, correcting any voicing
problems, and regulation problems(usually a tight jack flange here and
there)?

If you answered 'yes' to any of the above questions, please contact me
privately. I need to set you straight.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com