Tuning problems: capo improvement suggestions

Michael Gebhardt michael.gebhardt@swipnet.se
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:05:46 +0100

>From what has been written on this thread so far, I
understand that the problem I described is not a necessary
evil in pianos with a capo, but rather a problem that has
developped over time in this particular instrument (and
others of its age).

I now got "Steinway Service Manual" (not an official
Steinway publication) from the library. The author writes
about the string cutting problem:

"This usually is a result of improper tuning as the harder
steel strings cut into the V-bar (shouldn't it say capo
bar?) when exposed to excessive tension" He (service manual
author) suggests to file the capo bar and use oil as
lubricant.

I don't think that the piano has been improperly tuned. I
know that the previous owner did some bad things to the
piano, such as cleaning the strings and plate with
aggressive detergent dropping down on the soundboard and
causing corrosion on the metal, but improper tuning was
probably not one of the bad things done to the piano.

Considering all the trouble obviously connected with
standard capo bars, I wonder if they couldn't be improved
by either of the following:

1) The manufacturer mounts upside-down agraffes to the capo
bar (which, of course, does not extend as close to the
strings as usual). Advantages: enjoying easier tuning and
reducing string cutting thanks to agraffes, being able to
correct possible string cutting problems by simply
exchanging agraffes.

2) Carving grooves slighly larger than the string into it in
order to distribute the pressure more evenly over the edge.
The main advantage I see with that compared to method 1 is
that it is something that could be done to a standard capo
after manufacturing, unless affecting downbearing too much?

What do you think?

Regards

Michael