CLP and Styran

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:05:27 EST

Ladies and gents,

I went out on a service call last week to deal with a rental piano that had
sticky keys.  It was a Kawai console that was in a room approximately six
feet from an open window.  It IS January, and even though this is California,
there was a substantial amount of cool, damp air blowing in from outside.
After a brief and kindly lecture about the evils of drafts and
temperature/humidity fluctuation, I set to work.

There were many sticking keys and sluggish hammers.  It was tight centers, so
I figured, hey, CLP will do the trick.  I was wrong.  For whatever reason,
there was no noticeable improvement in the sluggishness. I assume that none
of the excess fluid gets absorbed by the plastic as it might get absorbed by
wood.  Anybody know for sure?

I reamed a few flange bushings and replaced some corroded pins and the
situation was resolved, but a less time-consuming solution would be
desirable..  Anybody got an answer, and/or a lubricant that might work with
Styran?

Dave Stahl