Close enough>??

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:03:33 -0800

Hmm? What I have been reading, regarding this thread really disturbs me.
Some techs. seem to be content to work Fast/Cheap. Now, I know that each
area of this great country has different economic bases, but doing work for
cheap doesn't make it, IMO. Basically, we are paid for the TIME we spend. If
we have honed our skills to the degree of what many boast about, tuning in
less than 1 1/2 hours, (actually most of the boasters say less than an
hour!), then that seems to be the excuse that they will only charge for the
time they are actually tuning the piano. Unless these "speed tuners" are
charging a base labor rate of $150 per hour, then they are definately short
changing themselves and their families for a liveable income.
When it comes to Pitch Raises, let's look at it this way: Scenario #1:
Client hasn't tuned the piano in 10 years; piano is 15cents flat and
unstable. Tuner charges $90.00 for a base tuning rate and another $15.00 for
a Pitch Raise. Total of $105.00. So....., for the period of 10 years, it
only cost that client $10.50 per year, for the piano's maintainence. To me,
this client wouldn't know an in tune instrument and could care less.
Probably had pressure from someone else to get the derned thing tuned. <G>
Scenario #2: Client gets piano tuned every 6 months and pays the technician
a base tuning fee of that same $90.00....LESS an appropriate 10% "regular
client discount, for a total of $81.00. Over a period of 10 years that
client will have spent $1,620.00 for maintainence of their piano! Who's
getting the best deal, (financially)?
I say quit being so darned nice to the ones that don't take care of their
piano, on a regular basis and start being a whole lot nicer to the ones that
do!!!!! That is my philosophy and I give my regular clients all kinds of
freebies and TLC. On the other hand, after attempting to educate the "once
every 10 year people" and they do not respond, their "outta here"! Don't
want them for a client and don't bother to keep them in my Database. (I do
give them three chances)
Just something to think about.
I strongly advocate that we each establish an "Hourly Wage" concept and
strive to be fair about it with our clients. After all, We do attempt to
make our "living" this way and should be more business like in this respect.
Of course, there are exceptions to be made and we should "Give back", from
time to time, for those who will appreciate the courtesy.
Yes, my flack jacket and flame suit are zipped up tight. <G>
As for the "speed tuners", boasting, yada yada, I wouldn't want you to tune
on my piano! Especially if I were #3, #4, etc!!
Respectfully,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)