Frozen Let-Off Rail Fix

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:54:39 -0500

Old upright action. Task: refurbish a little, level keys, regulate. Let off screws frozen pretty solid.

What is the cheapest, quickest, most appropriate fix for this so that I can regulate the darn thing?

Remove rails and toast each screw with a torch?

Lubricate with liquid wrench or something else?

Replace rail? Are universal replacements available, or, I would imagine, that the spacing will be different on any given piano?

Going for the quick fix here. Low budget, make it work.

Condemned two other pianos today. This one is definitely better than the others, and besides, it was grandma's.

One of the condemned was the Janssen grand I posted about previously.

Terry Farrell