Yow-yow-yowing bass strings

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:41:41 -0500

Hi Nathan,

> But how can we test this?
>
> Simple. PLuck the string at a non vertical angle. If the reason for the
> yow-ing is a horizontal (or indeed just non-vertical) force applied by the
> hammer then plucking at a none vertical angle should also induce the same
> phenomenon, and IMO exagerate it.

Actually my point was that this sort of behavior might occur if different
harmonic components have different initial directions of vibration, due to
differences in the horizontal and vertical components of the initial
impulse.  I'm not sure what plucking would gain in the diagnosis.

In order for there to be *any* deviation from a straight up-and-down
vibration, some force has to act on the string in a horizontal direction.
Perhaps a wobbly hammer strike or imperfection in the hammer.  Perhaps some
imperfection in the string terminus.  Perhaps a slight lateral vibration in
the top of the bass bridge during vibration.  It's got to come from
somewhere.

Peace,
Sarah