Tuning problems under capo bar

Michael Gebhardt michael.gebhardt@swipnet.se
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:02:56 +0100

Hello everyone!

I've recently started to teach myself piano tuning. During
Christmas holidays, I've had an opportunity to tune my
parent's piano (1980 Hamburg Steinway A). I've noticed the
following problem:

When I tune the strings that pass under the capo bar,
nothing happens at first, and as I continue to turn the
lever, the pitch suddenly "jumps" far beyond the point
where I want to get it as soon as friction in the contact
point with the capo bar is overcome.

In order to get a smoother change, I had to strike the note
several times VERY firmly after each slight turn of the
pin, to equalize string tension.

So here the question:
Since I haven't so much tuning practice, it might take many
such firm strikes before getting an acceptable final
result. So I ask for your opinions if this might lead to an
excessive wear of the hammer felt (compression and
engraving of the strings), more than say a few hours of
normal playing.

Thanks in advance

Michael