Yow-yow-yowing bass strings

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:10:25 -0700

Good thought David, and add to that the thicker wire will not go on as =
smoothly resisting the stringer resulting in little errors of diameter =
fluxuations causing false nodal points along the string length.

Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; BobDavis88@aol.com=20
  Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 2:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Yow-yow-yowing bass strings

  Since it occurs irregularly, it would make sense to look at the string =
manufacturing process.  My inclination (and I know you didn't want =
speculation) is that it has something to do with how the wrapped portion =
of the string is tensioned onto the core wire.  Too much tension, for =
example, might cause the core wire to twist, or somehow become torqued =
in a way that creates irregular or mismatched patterns when the string =
is set to vibrating.  Since this problem seems to occur mostly in the =
heavier wrapped strings, it may be because the thicker diameter of the =
wrappings in these strings requires more tension in the horizontal =
direction while the string is being wrapped.  The need for greater =
tension may tend to create more variation in tension, simply put, it =
might be harder to hold it steady.  It might be interesting to compare =
two strings, one that ! yows and one that doesn't, off the piano by =
allowing them to hang freely and see if the yowing one differs in terms =
of the amount of natural twist. =20

  Just a thought.

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net