close enough>??

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:40:58 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jonathan Finger=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 10:43 PM
  Subject: RE: close enough>??

  Hi there all,

  If I'm moving pitch more than 8-10 cents, then I will do a pitch =
raise,
  and tune uisons as I go.  I do this with both a strip, and a rubber
  mute. I tune with the pocket RCT, so typically I am able to tune
  chromatically up from A0.  Like I said, with a pitch raise I pull =
sharp,
  usually a bit sharper in the treble, and less in the bass.  It has =
been
  my experience that the treble will drop more than the standard 25%, =
and
  that the bass will drop less than this amount. =20

      I will do a seperate pass if the piano is as little as 2 cents =
off.  My experience has shown me that the bass will need a 20 percent =
overcorrection, and this puts it right on the money almost every time.

  If I must do a pitch raise, I try to do it as quickly as possible,
  knowing that I will be redoing a good portion of it.  This usually =
takes
  a 1/2 hour (or so).  Surprisingly, many times on the 2nd time through,
  I'm only moving maybe 30%.  This means that the second time through,
  even though it's a "fine tuning" doesn't take all that long, and the
  entire process is usually done within an hour and a half. =20

      That's what I've found, also.=20

  Somewhat off topic (or is it) ...  I remember Virgil Smith doing a =
study
  here once where he showed that tuning unisons caused the pitch level =
of
  the note to drop.  I believe it was something like 1-2 cents.  (anyone
  know what I'm talking about, or have I gone mad?)

      I saw that demonstration too. In our class, it could be =
demonstrated by hearing the beat rate of the third tenth octave check, =
but they had trouble measuring it with a machine.
      Kevin E. Ramsey

  Jonathan Finger RPT.
  Boulder Chapter, PTG