close enough>??

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:43:12 -0700

Hi there all,

If I'm moving pitch more than 8-10 cents, then I will do a pitch raise,
and tune uisons as I go.  I do this with both a strip, and a rubber
mute. I tune with the pocket RCT, so typically I am able to tune
chromatically up from A0.  Like I said, with a pitch raise I pull sharp,
usually a bit sharper in the treble, and less in the bass.  It has been
my experience that the treble will drop more than the standard 25%, and
that the bass will drop less than this amount.

If I must do a pitch raise, I try to do it as quickly as possible,
knowing that I will be redoing a good portion of it.  This usually takes
a 1/2 hour (or so).  Surprisingly, many times on the 2nd time through,
I'm only moving maybe 30%.  This means that the second time through,
even though it's a "fine tuning" doesn't take all that long, and the
entire process is usually done within an hour and a half.

Any similar experiences out there?

I will say that tuning unisons as you go seems to create a bit of
stability, though I don't always do it.

Somewhat off topic (or is it) ...  I remember Virgil Smith doing a study
here once where he showed that tuning unisons caused the pitch level of
the note to drop.  I believe it was something like 1-2 cents.  (anyone
know what I'm talking about, or have I gone mad?)

Jonathan Finger RPT.
Boulder Chapter, PTG