close enough>??

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:51:59 -0600

Hello,

Could those of you that tune unisons as you go explain your procedure?  I
use a Verituner and use the following method.

1.  Strip mute tenor and treble areas
2.  Tune temperament area and also notes down to the tenor/bass break
(middle strings only)
3. Tune octaves up to C88 (middle strings only)
4. Pull out the strip mutes and tune unisons from C88 down to the tenor/bass
break (tuned aurally)
5. Tune down from the tenor bass break down to A0, tuning unisons as I go.

I will always do a quick pitch correction if the piano is off more than
about 4 cents.  If the piano is 4 cents or better (almost never on the
pianos I tune), then I will go right to fine tuning as described in the
steps above.

The problem I've encountered is by the time I get to step 5, the middle and
upper registers usually settle by .5 to 1 cent. Of course   I suppose to get
best accuracy using this method, I should perform step 5 aurally instead of
using the ETD.  Would tuning unisons as I go take care of the above problem?
For people that tune unisons as they go, what exact procedure are you using?

Thanks,

Corte Swearingen