Yow-yow-yowing bass strings

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:34:31 -0500

Hi Alan et al.,

>> Ah, you were so close to naming it. It's called longitudinal =
inharmonicity, When strings vibrate, they don't just go up and down, as =
sketches of string motion are drawn. They move in all directions, very =
complex. Simply put, the strings in question are some combination of =
damaged, poorly made, dirty, corroded, stretched out, or just old. The =
motion in one or more directions is hampered in some way so the string =
harmonics are "fighting" each other, i.e., not matching up, going out of =
phase.

Very cool.  Now I know the name. <smile>  Just to expand on this =
concept, if the impulse (i.e. hammer blow) delivered to the string has =
both vertical and horizontal components, and if the vertical and =
horizontal components are not simple scalar translations of each other =
(i.e. that the horizontal force is a fixed multiple of the vertical =
force, such that they could be resolved as a simple, unidirectional =
impulse at an angular direction -- highly doubtful), then the initial =
horizontal and vertical spectra would have different relative =
representations in the different harmonics (partials).  As a result, the =
resultant angle of vibration would differ between harmonics.  (Think =
about it.)  Now, considering the inharmonicity of the string, the =
phasing of the different harmonics would drift.  As they drift, angle of =
vibration at any given position of the string would also drift, i.e. =
being the sum of the vibrational components from each harmonic, which =
arguably are set at different angles in an imperfect system.  Add to the =
cocktail that nonlinearities in string behavior would result in the =
gradual transfer of energy from lower frequencies to their harmonics in =
the *same* vibrational direction as the lower frequencies, with those =
frequencies summating with the (slightly different frequency) harmonics =
at different vibrational angles, thus causing a shift in the angle of =
the resultant vibrational component.  YOW!!  WOW!!  This could make a =
person's brain bleed!

ANYWAY....  I think the answer with regard to the non-yowing Bosendorfer =
vs. the other yowing pianos is probably the absence of horizontal =
components in the initial impulse to the string.  That is, (1) the =
hammer is better balanced on the shank, such that the shank doesn't =
twist when set into motion; (2) the hammer's center of mass moves =
perfectly in-line towards the strike point (not with respect to the arc =
of it's swing); (3) the centers are tighter, resulting in less play; (4) =
the hammers are more uniform and/or less grooved, such that the string =
is not "tapped" slightly to one side; (5) other factors that you piano =
techs would know better than I would.  Basically, it's a more precise =
motion that delivers, say, a 99.5% vertical and 0.5% horizontal blow, =
even after all the twisting and flailing that the hammer undergoes en =
route to the string.  Perhaps the extra care in manufacture?  Perhaps =
luck of the run?  Perhaps it's also partially related to the use of =
hornbeam, which I recall flexes less???

I remember taking lessons as a teen on my teacher's concert Bosendorfer. =
 Cool piano!  I think she loved that piano like a child.  Still, I =
confess I didn't enjoy it as much as a beat-up Steinway B in one of the =
practice rooms at my alma mater.  The piano didn't look like much, but =
it sang beautifully -- even if it might have yow-yow'ed a bit!

Peace,
Sarah