aural technique for treble

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:01:11 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Thanks for the well-tempered responses. I wasn't sure if I was going to
get yelled at or not. I took a risk and ended up with a great tip from
Phil, and some other useful info! Thanks!

One thing I noticed in the upper octaves is that I can tune pretty well
when I play the single and double octaves separately, instead of listening
to beats. That is, if I'm tuning A6, I play A4, A5, and A6... A4, A5,
A6... A4, A5, A6. And I tune A6 to where it should be. I find that my ear
puts it in the right spot (compared to what TuneLab says, based on double
octaves in the treble).

I saw this concept demonstrated at a Chapter meeting. The speaker played
arpeggios and asked us to determine how he should tune the top note. He
showed that the ear wants things to be stretched TOO much. In my case, I
found that with just octaves, my ear could hear the right amount of
stretch.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island