aural technique for treble

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:57:23 -0500 (EST)

When you're tuning the treble, instead of going note by note from the top
of the temperament section to the top, why not go octave by octave?

That is, if the temperament ends at A4, I would tune B4, and then B5, B6,
and B7. Then I'd go back and tune C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, etc.

The main disadvantage I'd see would be that if my stretching gets too
wide, for example, I might end up so that my A's are all too sharp for the
A#'s that I tuned a while ago. Yeah, I guess that's the drawback.

Does anyone do this?

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island