twisted stickers (acrosonic)

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:53:06 -0500

List,
My customer has a 1968 Acrosonic with the long wooden stickers (the
ones which a conventional capstan pushes up on). The piano was tuned
intermittently, til the mid 80s by a gentleman recently retired. The
lady of the house is also recently retired, and ready to return to
playing piano & having the grandchildren learn on it.
So ... this spinet was 100 cents flat, and suffering from various types
of "sticky key syndrome." She informs me that's "always been a
problem", as the previous tech had apparently "tuned but  did no
repairs."
The general sluggishness is mostly attributable to the key bushings
wrapping around the key pins. Several keys, however, were sticking
because their stickers were twisted severely to one side, and the
capstan was jamming between neighboring stickers.
I'm a bit puzzled as to the optimum fix for this problem. There 20
stickers that are off center to some degree, while 6 of them are
severe. I took several out and there're not obviously twisted (and the
center pin appears properly aligned though I didn't try repinning). I
*forgot* to swap some stickers to see if the problem is where the
flange cloth-and-center pin pops into the wippen. The wippens
themselves are properly centered (ie in relation the spacing of
neighboring wippens).

So -- assuming other have seen this problem -- what's your optimum fix?
I tried twisting with heat but that didn't seem to work. Steam?
Kerfing? Replacing wippens (not my preference  but ....)?

Thanks,
Patrick Draine