close enough>??

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:54:49 EST

 Richard writes:

<< I have a feeling that tho your point goes to showing what you can actaully
get
away with... that these "worst case" possiblities are not really what you had
in
mind.  or what ? >>

What I have in mind is that no tuner I have met can tell from listening to
music being played on a piano if there has been a one cent drift in the
octaves.  I have watched them listen and no-one has detected it, even when
asked to listen for it.  It has happened in several of my classes around the
country, I find a piano that is either new or really flat, I do a fast raise
and use it for demonstration of the temperaments, and afterward I check it to
find that there is this amount of drift and no one noticed or could hear it.
   Also, the farther from the center of the keyboard, the more drift there
can be without detection.  Would you opine tht you can hear an additional 2
cents sharpness in the top octave?

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/