close enough>??

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:57:21 +0100

Ed

Me thinks we just are bound to disagree here then. I hear the difference between
a well tempered piano and a ET immediatly. And I hear quite easily different
octave spreads. While this may sound philosophic to you, I think its more a
matter of experience telling me that the minute I start cutting corners my "best"
is just that more reduced... and the new "good enough" becomes similarilly lower.

I did the check you said btw. Used RCT on both C's at the Uib. One I tuned with
RCT at tuning style 4. The other I tuned by ear. Outside of the highest 5 notes
there was no appreciable difference between the two. I've checked them 4 weeks in
a row now. A few notes here and there... mostly unisons drifting just a tad. This
week I had to actually use an hour getting both back in shape. Certainly the
experience tells me that pianos are quite capable of holding a tuning better then
the 1 cent tolerance you give. 3/4 to full blush on RCT on 90 % of the notes
after a week is hard to argue with.

Significant ??? Its not so much a matter who isnt capable of discerning the
difference. Its more a matter of who can, or whether or not you yourself are able
to demonstrate the "trueness" of  a tuning at need.

Like I said.. I wont argue that 1 cent is good enough for most situations. But if
good enough is not your best... and your best is within easy reach...  then good
enough is ... well not.

Just my view.

RicB

--