Action Elevations

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:02:10 +0100

Richard,

 aside the rule that hammer may be hitting the string square, my
believing is that they may hit the strings squarely on forte level,
but this is attained with the flex of the shank, and then the bore is
more probably 1? toward the keyboard.

Anyway the strike point is not the same depending the force of the
blow.

Beside, I have heard that we aim for a shank that is may be parallel
at letoff, that mean it is not when the hammer hit the strings.

if we follow the 2 ideas above, we bore with an open rake as strong as
92 ?
I've find it interesting on small grands to verify the slant of the
strings, from a tonal point of view it helped to try to maintain the
same attack angle.

But I did not go thru the axis height analysis that far, only checked
the geometry of the top action to be workable, so I am not of a big
help there.

I guess that you call the center spread the "attack distance" which is
the difference in height between hammer center and whippen center, I
understand this can be managed and we are not fixed on the 64mm
standard distance, any variation is possible around, strings height
I've been told may not be too high of course, or that distance grows a
lot, aggravating the action internal friction because the "vertical
spread" makes a longer path between parts (seems simple in fact).

P.S Talking about hammer bore I guess that we could take in account
too the fact that the hammer expand a little under first voicing, but
may be too that it will be shorter after some playing.

Cheers

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech