CA glue, Part II

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:59:24 -0700

At our recent Arizona mini-convention-seminar, Jim Coleman Jr. showed up =
with a new form of CA glue that he's helping to distribute. I should =
have mentioned it before this, but the stuff is amazing. The tips never =
clog up, the caps don't get glued shut, and it seems to be faster and =
stronger than regular CA. It's called Cypox, and I'm sure we'll all =
become familiar with it real soon. I bought the starter kit, and have =
only tried it on a couple of test projects, but so far it's living up to =
all expectations.

    Kevin E. Ramsey
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Charles Neuman=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 1:53 PM
  Subject: CA glue, Part II

  An answer and a question:

  Answer:

  A while ago I asked about the technique of storing CA glue upside =
down.
  What you do is turn the glue upside down, and the squeeze it until a =
drop
  almost comes out, and then put the cap on. The glue is then kept =
upside
  down. This makes sure there is no air in the tip, and it keeps the =
glue
  from curing in the tip. I said I'd report back on how it works.

  It works! One time I did have to push a pin through the tip to open =
the
  hole, but another time the tip was fine. Since you let a drop almost =
come
  out of the tip, a concern might be that the cap would get glued to the
  tip. It doesn't. Glue doesn't stick to the inside of the cap well. The
  surface is too smooth.

  Question:

  Suppliers of CA glue sell replacement spray pumps for the accelerant. =
Why,
  I wondered? Well, mine jammed up. I guess the accelerant gets a little
  gummy after a while. What do people do to prolong the life of the =
spray
  pump? Can you take it out of the accelerant after use and rinse it =
with
  water or a solvant?

  Charles Neuman
  PTG Assoc, Long Island