My mistake.....my lesson....a cautionary tale

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:54:53 +0100

First and formost....

Your computer clock reads three days behind, or this message just came in
after a long delay. You might double check it

David Andersen wrote:

> Richard Brekne wrote:

> >We all know there are unreasonable people out there. Given the right
> >situation each and every one of us has no doubt been pretty off the wall
> >ourselves. None of this has much to do with the lesson learned above.
> >Seems like we've spent most of our time in replying to David by finding
> >ways of justifying him and ourselves....gone waaaaay out of our way to
> >write this pianist off as a totally unreasonable person not worth the
> >slightest consideration. Heck, this lady might as well go out and shoot
> >herself in the head given the degree of worth she so obviously lacks.

> This is fascinating.  My take is this:  I made a mistake or two, realized
> it owned up, and made the best out of a bad situation.  The artist WAS
> abusive.  I'm an artist, too. I've played & sung in bands and solo in
> hundreds of venues all over the world---mostly guitar and bass, now, but
> I used to play drums, too.
> I have interfaced with hundreds and hundreds of sound techs, mixers,
> guitar techs, and roadies of all stripes; I have never handled a screw-up
> by someone, a bad mike, no monitor speakers, bad mix,
> mistaken sound placement, whatever, with that level of guilt,
> belligerence, and passive aggression.

Ok... you got me 100 % on your side when it comes to the wrongness of being
abusive. But none of that speaks directly about the validity of her voicing
judjements... one way or the other. No doubt we can be tempted to infer both
this and the other given her apparent willingness to be abusive. But my
personal experience tells me that this is far from dependable. Even if she
was on to something however.. I think the most important lesson out of this
is the one you yourself mention below, and should have been more the focus of
this discussion me thinks. And like the other lady said... dont worry... this
will pass as well. I mean hey.... when you're good you're good right ?? and
if you are'nt yet... well pray you are one of those have the good sense to
get there one day !

> So, I feel for her as an artist, but she failed in a basic human way, and
> I got the benefit of  huge lessons; my voicing complacency vanished, and
> I'm back on my toes around performance/recording pianos.  So: it's all
> good.
>

> >Im not sure whats more fun, reading these kinds of furries into customer
> >bashing, or watching Al and Thumpy talk politics, or Bill and Ed dueling
> >temperaments at 13 e-paces, or hearing about how Steinways are the worst
> >pianos on earth.
>

> It's all fun, baby......

Yes... well as we have all seen these past few days.. its perhaps not. But
then that would apply to the whole gambit, and not just one particular item.

> David A.

Cheers !
RicB

--