I HAVE AS MUCH REVERENCE FOR THE FOUNDING FATHERS AS ANYONE!

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:41:12 -0800

Though I am trying to keep out of these types of discussions, I feel
compelled to comment.  I took Gordon's comments as a criticism of the
current administration with respect to the intentions of the founding
fathers.  I caught his sarcasm and, in fact, agree with him in this respect.
The founding fathers were smart enough to recognize that war was serious,
dirty, expensive business, wrought with many unforeseen perils that
historically has brought down many of the great nations.  They, therefore,
wanted to make it particularly difficult to go to war and wrote into the
articles that a formal declaration of war by the congress would be required.
This was in part to insure that some individual with a personal or misguided
motive for embarking on such a program might be brought under the checks and
balances that make this system so great.  The current administration seems
bent on not only acting unilaterally, in defiance of world opinion, but
without the approval of congress in the form of a formal declaration of war.
If Iraq represents a clear and present danger--the proof of which has not
been found by the inspectors, nor been provided by the administration, then
Congress should be approached by the President for a formal declaration of
war as our founding fathers intended (and as Gordon, I believe, was arguing,
in effect).  Unless that happens, then I don't support the administration's
attempt to act without such approval and, in my opinion, neither should
anyone else.

David Love